Cannoli Poke Cake
Made by Lidia Vlahakis for the March 19 dinner-meeting
Made by Tony Branco for the February 22 dinner-meeting
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4-cup sugar -- superfine
- 2/3-cup milk
- 1 1/4-cups heavy cream
- 1/2-teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound marscapone cheese at room temperature
- 1/4-cup espresso at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons of rum
- 2 (3-ouce) packages of ladyfingers (Savoiardi style)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well blended. Whisk in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil gently for 1 minute, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Cover tightly and chill in refrigerator 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk mascarpone into yolk mixture until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine coffee and rum. Quickly dip ladyfingers one at a time into the bowl.
- Arrange half of soaked ladyfingers in bottom of a 7x11 inch dish. Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers, then half of whipped cream over that. Repeat layers and sprinkle with cocoa. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours, until set.